A long-standing MediaSense client required a review of their digital media campaigns to assess the effectiveness of their programmatic media planning and buying. The objective was to gain better visibility of how budgets were being spent by the agency and to evaluate the agency’s optimisation strategy.
The assessment goal was to surface evidence of campaign optimisation and to better understand how the agency reallocated spend from underperforming media to deliver optimal value and how this impacted campaign results.
MediaSense proposed the Digital Performance Analytics tool, DiPA™, to analyse the media campaign. The analysis included:
- Evaluation of log level DSP data and granular performance data at scale to identify evidence of optimisation by the agency
- KPI and media planning reviews on video and display inventory to ensure campaign goal alignment
- Media quality reviews to disclose the level of brand safety and to help minimise fraud
The review of the agency’s optimisation strategy revealed:
- A high level of impressions being served at night, achieving poor conversions
- A focus on conversion, but not quality KPIs
- Optimisation techniques were limited to conversion and creative KPIs
- A significant opportunity to introduce additional optimisation layers, including domain level and daypart KPIs
Following the analysis, future campaigns are now planned with more structural optimisation layers (line item, domain, daypart, creative) and a number of new KPIs (conversions, conversion rate, engagement, viewability) have been introduced, improving overall campaign performance. Furthermore, a daypart targeted approach has also been introduced into the planning strategy to minimise the level of impressions served at night-time.
Implementation of the optimisation recommendations delivered 15% improvement in sales volumes over the course of the campaign.
Introduction of quality KPIs (such as viewability) ensured genuine campaign conversions that were in-view, human and fraud-free.
MediaSense provided the client with significantly improved visibility of the data and technology platforms used by the agency for more accurate analysis of future campaigns.